Thursday 5 March 2015

Hackception experience at Amrita University

The blog just came up and here I am trying to re-experience my entire day of Hackception@Amrita.
Yes, that’s right. Hackception is one of the events conducted at Amrita every year for Anokha(one of the best college fests in south India). Now, why am I trying to re-experience my day? I’ll tell you.
The coordinators gave us a last minute announcement about a special prize for whoever brings it up on to the blogosphere.(I know it feels its not fair to announce it in the last minute but hey..its only a blog post right?). I am not really doing this just for the special prize but its because I have my teammates (the other two members of the UNCLASSIFIED ERRORS) here who are ready to kick my *** if I don’t give it a try.

So, with Linkin Park’s The Hunting Party album playing in the background I am gonna
tell you what happened. Do comment on my first blog post. Constructive criticism is really
appreciated.

Let’s get started…


It all started with this




Yes this… But hey, when do we not do this at the beginning of something special? Huh?
But there was one coordinator who had the look in his face like ‘Guys, seriously?? C’mon’.


The Hackception event started with an introduction to the Linux operating system and its
advantages over Microsoft Windows and Mac OS. I was really surprised by what Linux operating systems can do. Though I was told by some of my friends to switch over to Linux, I really did not understand what they meant until this very introduction. In just a few minutes I was really convinced to change my operating system. I really liked the way the coordinators explained the concepts. I thank all the coordinators who made me understand the difference.

After the Linux introduction, we were taught about the various methods that can be implemented
to bypass security. Like the basic scripting techniques and XSS injection,etc. Though they were
very basic it helped all the participants gain a proper understanding of the concepts.

We were then taught to use the networking application Wireshark which by definition is a free and open source packet analyzer.
Then, we learnt about the Nmap tool which is a security scanner used to discover hosts and services on a computer network, thus creating a "map" of the network.

The first day of Hackception was really good. I am eagerly waiting for the second day where the real competition starts.





No comments:

Post a Comment